Thursday, July 23, 2009

Greetings from London




















Randolph (my oldest) and I set off on Tuesday for a 19 day trip to England and Italy with his church choir.  We arrived in London with a serious case of jet lag.  Neither of us slept a wink on the plane and we landed only to board a bus onto our first adventure to Windsor Castle.  Needless to say, we were cross eyed from exhaustion.  Despite the jet lag......we're having a ball.  

We have already had our eyes opened to another world so much, it feels like we left the US days ago.  We have recovered our sleep and have taken in many things London has to offer.  The traffic here is insane with the oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the street making crossing the streets quite dangerous and outright SCARY.  Pedestrians beware......ugh.

Here are some pictures from Windsor Castle, Greenwich Pier, Thames River, Greenwich Village, the chapel of St. Peter and St. Paul at the Old Royal Naval College - and, by the way, we stood on the eastern and western hemispheres at the same time today.  Very cool.  Pictures coming later - we just got caught in a major rainstorm.....gotta go!

Okay - back to accessing Wifi and in doors this time!!  Also, I need to apologize to anyone who got the cheesy email saying we were leaving the country - I tried to set up an auto-response for my email and clearly screwed it up because it shot out an email to anyone and everyone....sorry.

So far on our trip, the group has had one visit from the toothfairy...one surprise visit from an unexpected grandparent, one pick-pocket, an accidental tip of a mere $.03, a phone and camera left on a bus and LOTS OF LAUGHS.  It's a great group of people, only to be joined by more when we head to Venice in a few days.

Since communication is limited - we'd love some comments from anyone taking a look.  I'll continue to update with pictures as long as Wifi is available....which we're finding out is not so easy....
(Having major issues getting enough bandwidth to post pictures....still trying...)

Randolph is lying on the Greenwich Line - Zero Latitude...THE clock in Greenwich.....the candelabra picture is the dining hall in the Old Royal Naval College (just like the College of Charleston cafeteria!).... The Prospect of Whitby is a 978 year old pub on the Thames River....the beautiful ceilings are from the Chapel of St. Peter and St. Paul...the beautiful bridge.....the Tower of London...iconic Big Ben and telephone booths.....changing of the guards at Windsor Castle.....and Windsor Castle is the last picture.  

We're off to explore on our own today....nothing planned which is nice.  PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS - Randolph and I would love to hear from you.

7 comments:

  1. great pictures travis..what an amazing experience for you and randolph to have. enjoy every minute. xo the stalker

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is WOW!! The pictures are amazing and I am so happy that you both are there to see a different part of the world! I have always been intrigued by knowing what is out there- and thinking about the many generations that have stomped those very grounds. Isn't the history just over the top!! I'm sure almost overwhelming at times! Gosh Trav- the gardens look FABULOUS- now THAT I'd love to see with my own 2 eyes! And Randolph, isn't it neat to know that you have laid on the line?? Continue to keep us posted :o) This is when technology is truly appreciated. No more post cards!! We love you both. Aunt Ansawee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trav I am so jealous of you and Randolph! I know it must feel like a whole nother world! the pictures are amazing! Please be careful I am checking everyday! I love ya'll Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like great fun and no time wasted. Keep taking pictures, and be sure to get one of yourself . . . alone and several with Randolph. Love you, Thayer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you're there! Jeff and I are so envious! Can't wait to see where you are next!
    xox
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom, your pictures are awesome!Dad, Hen, and I looked at them the day before Hen, and I went to the mountains. I like the picture of Randolph on the line. We're going for a night swim. I'll talk to you later. Love you, Burg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom & Randolph, We just went to the top of the mountain and discovered a lookout (and horse poop!)I also took a picture of a vulture and a Bald Eagle (we think). We made a smootie with the blackberries we picked, and we're about to go try to find the "Cow" on Cow Rock. I love you, Hen and Burg!

    ReplyDelete