Friday, February 27, 2009

The Power of Innocence


My husband and I have been fretting this entire winter......about anything from the economic slow-down to a burnt out oven.  There was a small time that it seemed that we were a bit of a pin cushion......every time we turned around it was something else.  January and February are our slow seasons and sick seasons.  Needless to say we have all needed a little "fresh air" in our lungs in more ways than one.  

Our youngest child has the ability to find the good in anything.  He's always the voice in the back of the car saying, "Well at least it's not......"  He's the one who comes up to me while I'm paying bills and wanting to barf and gives a kiss with a dance and a song called "I Love My Mama, She's So Cool" and how can you not smile through that?  My husband turned to me during a heavy conversation the other day after receiving one of those oh-so-timely kisses from the little guy and said, "He can keep me going."

The power of the innocence of youth.  They know NOTHING of this economic schism....they know NOTHING about the rising price of gas.....and they know NOTHING about social conflict.  My goal is to bring myself down to their level more often.  Why not hop a fence, climb a tree, catch a frog or play in a sprinkler once in a while?

I am also striving to find the blessing in everything.  There is one, big or small.  And if it's hard to find them sometimes.....I believe the cure is to do something for someone else.  Instant shot in the arm....BE GRATEFUL, BE HUMBLE and BE HAPPY.

2 comments: