Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Remembering Good Ole Ike

My family attends St. Philip's Episcopal Church downtown and it is a big part of our lives.  For years, there was not a day that you didn't see Ike, the Sexton, around the church.  This is Ike's church and his smile has touched every corner.  He's been through those big wooden doors a thousand times....


Ike passed away this weekend.  He had been sick.....but not old enough to die in our minds.  My youngest asked just this morning if Ike was still in the hospital.  We all loved Ike.  He called my little H "Daddy-Look-Alike" and always gave him a high five that burned his hand for a few minutes.  Ike is the one who put my children to work when they needed to earn a little extra for the bike they wanted.  He'd make up some task for them to help him with and praised them with a big smile and laugh.



I got the biggest kick out of seeing him while I was shooting a wedding this past spring.  He was helping out and was all dressed up in his tuxedo looking so handsome.  He and I sat in the Narthex laughing about the nephews of the bride shoving each other before they went down the aisle.  His saying was, "Your Daddy gets to walk you down the aisle, I get to walk you to the church."  Many young ladies are mourning the fact that that won't happen now.  Irreplaceable Ike.



Sweet Ike straightening out her dress....



Just after Easter, I was driving along and heard someone honking at me.  It was crazy ole Ike with a huge grin.  He motioned for me to pull over and he asked if I would do him a favor.  He had recently pulled the Easter cross, with all the flowers from the children on it, out in front of the church for display.  He thought it was beautiful and wanted me to take a picture of it for him.  I did and I framed one and gave him an extra print.  He was so excited to have one for home and one for his office.  He loved it.



I can't shake the sadness today.....he was an icon around our church and is part of the family there.  He wasn't just someone behind the scenes....he was a part of the church and he knew everyone.  He once told a good friend who he noticed was fretting....."You know what your problem is?  You're letting  Work work you.  You've got to learn to work the Work."  You will be missed Ike....smile on!

Side note:  At his funeral on Saturday - packed house and the family is finally all seated....and a fireman comes in to tell us we needed to evacuate that there was a fire.  Everyone was fine and the fire was some electrical wires arcing due to a bird's nest.....but true to Charleston style, we just shuffled on up the street to another family church and proceeded.  Ike got a giggle out of it I'm sure.

4 comments:

  1. sobbing at my kitchen table...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travis, You said that so well. Your words gave me chill bumps. I never met a kinder person. He will be missed....

    Mary Rohaley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! We'll miss you Ike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trav, this is awesome. I think that you said it all. He will be sorely missed.....Yesterday was awesome. I think that we could not have celebrated his life any better. Had a great time with you...you make me laugh...:)

    ReplyDelete