Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor






After I graduated from the College of Charleston, I headed to Atlanta to go to Paralegal School. I returned to Charleston to get busy at work in some local law firms. I lived that life a while back before my world naturally got chaotic on its own. Never in a million years, did I think I'd get the opportunity to photograph such an iconic figure in the field of law.

Sandra Day O'Connor is the first female United States Supreme Court Justice nominated by Ronald Reagan in the early 80's. Fascinating lady who stepped down from the bench in 2002 to care for her sick husband. Having some time on her hands, she started a program called Our Courts to help introduce the judicial branch of our government to children.

Thanks to the efforts of local attorneys Molly Craig and Catherine Templeton, Justice O'Connor and South Carolina Supreme Court Justice Jean Toal were in Charleston on Thursday . I was asked to shoot their visit to the Charleston Day School where Justice O'Connor gave a speech to local middle schoolers and demonstrated this really cool interactive website. Show your children - it's got great games!

No comments:

Post a Comment